clintiskeen on Why Atheists are Stupid (and s… The One Who Put You… on Why Atheists are Stupid (and s… des on Feminism is a Product and You… clintiskeen on Feminism is a Product and You… Sam on Feminism is a Product and You…
Around the internet you’ll see things like this everywhere.
That might seem like a pretty big statement, that feminist blogs don’t care about feminism, so let’s break this down.
Anyone who writes about something about which they didn’t bother to learn, doesn’t really care about that subject, they just care about getting it out there first, so that dismisses any “what if they didn’t know” criticisms that would surely follow.
1) Running to press with Jennifer Lawrence breasts leaked onto internet as a headline ensures that you are letting ANYONE who sees the article, sees it shared or hears anyone talking about it, know in no uncertain terms they can google her nudes. There is no way to dispute that.
2) EVERY … SINGLE …. STORY about this says how we should feel about Jennifer Lawrence Nude (I’m going to write that 10 more times for my own search relevance). Jennifer Lawrence’s breasts, Jennifer Lawrence Naked, etc.
I understand it’s hard to talk about a moral stance without talking about the most recent person it happened to. It’s clearly impossible to discuss whether the church thinks gay people will get into heaven without discussing what that Duck guy had to say about it. Oh wait. That’s not even close to true. That’s so amazingly untrue that it’s what’s called a red herring, something that distracts from the actual point one is trying to make. Still though they had to mention her because it’s the news and she’s the one it happened to, right? That brings up the next point:
3) It was actually a whole honeycomb of nude pics. Tens of celebrities had their nudes posted from iCloud. All of the headlines however say HER NAME. Why? Because they don’t care about her rights, her body, leaked pictures or anything else. They care about clicks. Your outraged click, becomes an outraged share, which invites curious clicks, many of whom were excited by the words together “JENNIFER LAWRENCE NUDES” (how many is that?). It wasn’t just Jennifer Lawrence’s nudes though, it was many many others, including not one but two underage girls. That’s the story. “Two unnamed underage starlets among recent celebrity nude dump” That’s what a headline should look like. Look at a reputable source the Washington Post. They wouldn’t put Jennifer Lawrence Nude in their headline to boost clicks they have integrity. They would make an unbiased headline like this.
4) Saying it’s just JENNIFER LAWRENCE’S NUDES not only victimizes her again by making her a commodity, it also belittles the other victims as being somehow less important. As if she’s the only one having her rights violated (and with all the feminist tabloid blogs latching onto it, she’s at least going to have a lead in views)
Again they don’t care about the issue they just care about getting in the linkbait headline, “Jennifer Lawrence Nudes” and it doesn’t hurt that the keywords are trending.
5) Of course they have to call it something, and of course they don’t want to call it what reddit is calling it
But you don’t have to name it after one of the victims. You can call it the “Celebrity Nude iPhone Cloud Storage Leak” which to me sounds just as functional as linkbait, but without singling someone out. I’m cynical enough to recognize the obvious click whoring, but not cynical enough to go along with the people who say it’s good for her career. Yeah it probably is, but no one is thinking OH SHIT, TO THE INTERNET!! I MUST WRITE A BLOG POST TO HELP JENNIFER LAWRENCE’S CAREER. Everyone is saying me.. me me me me mememe me.
6) Enough with the god damned masturbation shaming already. Yes we get it. Some guys will masturbate. More are looking out of curiosity. Just remember, if you looked before you wrote your article, you did the SAME thing you are saying is disgusting. I looked. I looked just because I didn’t know who Jennifer Lawrence was, and still didn’t afterwards because I didn’t recognize her face. A star of a youth fiction movie isn’t going to register to me. I had to check her wikipedia.
That draws to the real root of this, feminists LOVE the Hunger Games for all the wrong reasons. They imagine it’s a story about a strong female protagonist. The thing is it isn’t. She makes all the heroic poses, but … well that’s another story. Tune in next time for “The Hunger Games is the Most Sexist Movie in Recent History”
I’m going to play you out on a series of images I collected a long time ago when someone said that Jezebel had a point about the “breast size map” that some blogger made. Because you know, men are never ever ever ever objectified. It’s not just a thing bloggers do for cheap hits, ever.
OK, so many of you have probably seen this around and, you probably didn’t know what the hell was going on, and in fairness I’ve watched it unfold for months and I didn’t get it until just now.
This is one of those examples of something being about everything except the thing people say it’s about, but I’ll give a brief history anyway.
1) Zoe Quinn makes something that is objectively the worst video game in history. It has no video, and no game. It’s like a choose your own adventure book in HTML, if that book was written by an asshole. Seriously I’m not using hyperbole. The “game” doesn’t involve any kind of puzzle or anything, it’s just 1-3 word choices you can click on to navigate between marginally different (sometimes even the exact same) pages of the most awful writing anyone has ever seen. Quinn manages to break the literarary critic scale by writing awful that’s simultaneously purple prose, and insipidly non-descriptive. It’s a paradox in text form. At least “It was a dark and stormy night” tells you it was raining. Zoe’s prose is supposed to be immersive so the main protagonist is androgynous, the protagonist’s SO is androgynous, and they live wherever you do, I guess. So her shitty writing of “It’s an unseasonably warm evening” is meaningless and immersion breaking. Unseasonably warm for what? Where? It’s complete garbage. If I wanted to do a lot of reading, I’d get a book about a depressed character that was written by someone who isn’t a complete asshole. I’m not exaggerating either, this is what the “game” looks like
Also there are usually choices that are red and crossed out because you can’t do them because you are too depressed! It would have been hilariously stupid, had it not been so critically acclaimed.
2) She alleged she was being harassed for posting the game to Greenlight, a steam program to help make and publish independent video games. Despite these claims, I went through literally every comment on it at the time (it was only like 10 pagesX 10 comments per page at the time) and literally couldn’t find ONE personal attack against her. Despite there being no proof of any actual harassment other than her saying she was harassed (in the wake of Sarkesian’s immensely successful kickstarter that was propelled by 4chan’s /v/ posting all over her videos that they hope she is hit by a bus or raped by a polar bear or similar shitty things), Kotaku and others run with the story.
3) A massive outpouring of support comes her way. Her “video game” which is neither video, nor game wins several awards from blogs. People leave messages on the greelight page that literally say “I don’t play video games but I made a steam account so I could vote for this”
4) Jilted ex-lover post a blog post about her alleging that all of the journalists that gave her initial favorable reviews, for what is objectively an awful game, reported the harassment and gave her awards were having sexual congress with her while he thought she and he were in a committed monogamous relationship.
That all made sense, but what happens next doesn’t. Let’s stick to what can be proved and ignore the red herring of sex. Zoe Quinn had personal relationships with people who then gave her favorable reviews on gaming blogs. Not a huge deal, but it is a deal to some extent to people who (ha ha) care about the journalistic integrity of Kokatu.
People who speak ill of Zoe are actively being shut down. Journalists are refusing to back down from various stances. It’s bizarre.
The discussion at /r/gaming
The news sites are holding on to this thing like a dog with a bone to the point where people started calling it the “Quinnspiracy”
The more gaming blogs defended her, and shut down comment sections the more ugly things like this started to pop up.
It should have occurred to me as soon as I heard “Quinnspiracy” I’m an American. When someone says there is a conspiracy, even in jest, I’ve learned to follow the dollars. If there is a credible and easy way to make money on some kind of collusion, someone is doing it.
Someone is doing it here, too.
It didn’t occur to me until I was reading this really shitty article on Slate, clearly written by an asshole subtitled
Some ground rules to keep in mind in the wake of an ugly, sexist scandal.
where he says among other idiotic “rules”:
Stop publicly criticizing Quinn. Go after the men. Criticize the games themselves. But leave the women alone, even if you think they merit criticism
That seems a bit extreme… the rule is don’t criticize women even if you think they deserve it? It’s like the convergence of white knighting and red pilling. Don’t pick on girls, their feelings are too sensitive! They are weak and can’t defend themselves! Pick on the men instead! Let’s see how he justifies that idiotic sentiment:
targeting Quinn will drive away the next Kim Swift.
That doesn’t follow logic though, because it didn’t stop Kim Swift, and in fact the only reason anyone knows about this shit “game” called depressionquest is because she tried to tap into the outrage machine.
Also he went on to complain BUT THEY HACKED HER AND ARE CIRCULATING NUDES OF HER!!!!
That’s when it clicked. The “nudes” in question that are being circulated are from a commercial site which she received payment for and to frame such nudes in the frame of “hacking” is disingenuous. It made me think, I wonder how many people reading this even bothered to look at the game? Which like the pieces of one of those stone temple puzzles in a bad Indiana Jones rip off, they all started sliding into place. How many of them play any game made since Super Mario World? Hell how many of them even care about this outside of the context of the idea that 4 chan is beating up a woman?
Answer: none of them
Then the question, “Who even reads big gaming news sites anymore?” Most people don’t. We’re living in a time where one can merely click a subscribe button and get tweets that have up to the minute releases on projects of interest. Game and tech blogs can’t possibly hope to keep up with that. The only things that people read now, are those tweets and opinion pieces made by writers they are interested in. Gawker style click traps can’t hope to build up that kind of personality, so they’re shifting the market. That’s why the articles about that look like these
The reason is now clearly obvious to me. I feel stupid for not getting it earlier. Outraged 3rd wave radical feminists/ Social Justice Warriors may be a small percentage of the population, but they are very linked in and they vampirically feed on the imagined pain of any woman anywhere. Imagine if you will that just one of the power hitters of twitter’s peculiar brand of over the top feminism who has 50K followers tweets one of those stories. Assuming a small amount of retweets, that could drive 100,000 clicks. If their site is properly monetized like a gawker hole, that’s a nickel a click for 5 grand. That’s not chump change in the blogging world. If a writer who gets paid maybe 100 dollars an article can get something that draws 100K hits, you tell them to keep typing them out until their fingers bleed.
The problem with that is if users push back against what Sarkesian would call a damsel in distress, the well gets poisoned and they become a target rather than a resource for these hundreds of thousands of affluent privileged American and Canadian consumers that advertisers want, so this sort of thing begins to happen:
As Alfreb Einstime said about the invention of internet blogs dickery
You can fool all of the people some of the time, and sometimes you can fool all the people all of the way, but most of the time, you’re only fooling the fools all of the way and the rest of everyone else part time.
Meaning, that people feel the invisible wall inside the game pushing back at them. Gamers are no longer the targets for big tech blogs writing stories about games. Also this isn’t the number 1 trending story on Kotaku anymore. Today it’s “Is Hello Kitty a cat or not”
What made anyone think a site like that wasn’t cynically skewed to whatever idiocy will get the most hits? They’re selling outrage to both sides and taking it to the bank.
(Spoiler, yes it’s a fucking cat. If it was something else the drawing would be called hello something else)
“I’m not religious but I’m spiritual” because it means “I think I’m superior to Christians, but I check my horoscope and believe magical beams come out of quartz rocks that can heal my body”
Whine about how non Africans wearing dreadlocks is cultural appropriation, on a computer connected to the internet.
Complain about a soccer mom with 4 kids driving a “Gas guzzling SUV”, while carrying a bottle of imported water. How do you think that gets here? You think there is a really long pipe that connects us to Fiji and the French Alps? If there were how would they mine the ore to build the pipes? It’s all getting burned. What we don’t burn, gets burned in China where there is no emission standard.
Brag about not shopping at Walmart, shop at Target
Hear about a tragic mass shooting, think up ways to make it about your personal pet cause #yesallwomen, “Violent videogames” One Million Moms Against Guns
Try to make a cat vegan. If you aren’t comfortable with your pet eating meat, get a fucking bird.
Ableism: The idea that there is a normal baseline for being able and that anyone who falls below this is “disabled” and “not as good”. The biggest offenders are parking lots who allow “disabled” people to park up front.
Adrogyne/Androgynous/Androgyny: A person who isn’t a gender because they say they aren’t a gender.
Agent: A word for an oppressor that sounds way cooler than oppressor.
Ageism: The prejudiced belief that people age over time
Ally: A word to remind men that they can’t really be feminists because they’re not women. Feminists work for equality and only women can be feminists because reasons.
Anti‐Semitism: When any non POC hates Jewish people. POC can not be anti semitic because that’s racist and only white people can be racist. See also, racism
Aromantic: Someone who has no interest in romance. Still has a sex drive, just not a desire for romantic love. Also known as a slut.
Asexual: what people who never took biology call being celibate
Bias: How to claim everyone else is wrong even when they are using objective facts.
Cisgender: Anyone who isn’t the .04% of the population that is transgender. That way transgendered people have a word they can use when they want to say nasty things about the entire rest of the population of Earth.
Cishits: A nastier way of saying cisgender that implies that all non trans people are made of shit.
Classism: The word someone uses when they want to simultaneously talk about elitism and sound like an asshole
Color Blind: The worst kind of racism where someone’s color is completely disregarded. Notorious race traitor Marty King II said this about it, “I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.”
Cultural Appropriation: When white people do anything anyone else does. Like watching anime, using chopsticks, eating Mexican food or wearing afrocentric hairstyles. It is not however, when any other people use computers, read Shakespeare, or drive cars.
Demiplatonic: Someone who doesn’t befriend people they don’t like. Also known as “normal” and “not a psychopath”
Demisexual: Someone who only has sex with people they really like. Basically it’s a fancy way to call everyone else a whore, while at the same time having a unique special snowflake sexuality that isn’t “straight” except, it totally is.
Dialogue: Where the person with the most oppression points lectures to everyone and if anyone disagrees they are a shitlord
Discrimination: The reason why anything happens. This includes things that appear to be acts of the laws of nature, such as gravity.
Feelings: Literally the most important thing in the world. Has more merit than facts or logic.
First Nations People: It means Native American, but is only used by people who are less than 1/16th Native American to describe themselves when they are claiming to be Native American.
Gaslighting: A reference to a silver screen movie where a man attempts to make a woman think she is crazy by adjusting the valves in the gas lights. Used by mentally ill women to deflect attacks on arguments that seem “odd” in the way mentally ill people reason.
Genderfluid: When you get to be male or female, depending on what better suits the current argument
Hate Crime: Being rude to someone with more oppression points than you
Headmates: People who so badly want to be interesting, they invent imaginary friends in their heads. It’s like DID except without the controversy in the medical community if it’s real or a coping mechanism. Everyone agrees it’s just a lie for attention.
Heterosexism: The belief that heterosexuals outnumber homosexuals by a wide enough margin that heterosexual is the default sexuality
Mansplaining: A thing to accuse any man of when they have the audacity to try to use “facts” or “logic” to try to counteract a woman’s baseless assertions based on feelings.
Misandry: It’s supposed to mean the hatred of men and boys, but it doesn’t because that’s not a real thing.
Otherkin: When you were a kid did you ever pretend you were really a T-Rex, a kitty, or a doggy? Well they never stopped. Seriously they’re still pretending they are a raccoon trapped in a man’s body as an adult. May identify as _____kin specifically in their name to denote what animal they think they are.
Pansexual: Will fuck anything.
People of Color: 1/16th Cherokee pale faces, Asians, anyone but whitey. Fuck whitey. Oh also Jews. No Jews allowed.
PIV: Penis in Vagina sex. Somehow it’s always rape. I lack the energy to even make a joke here, but they’re dead serious. http://witchwind.wordpress.com/2013/12/15/piv-is-always-rape-ok/
Polyamory: Fancy name for swinger
PoMoSexual. Post modern. A label for sexuality that indicates the user thinks labeling sexuality is stupid.
Racism: Discrimination (which again is everything) plus power. So basically anything a white person does, says or thinks, but nothing a POC does or says ever.
Rape culture: The idea that people rape because of a secret media conspiracy to say that rape is OK. It ranges from the somewhat legitimate criticism of tricking a woman into sex in Revenge of the Nerds as a comedic premise to the ridiculous premise that anyone gets their moral compass about consensual sex from a 30 year old movie called “Revenge of the Nerds”
Self Diagnosed: Someone who heard of a disorder once, claims to have it, even though most of the time they have the symptoms really wrong. The two most common ones are ADHD and Asperger’s. The ones who claim to have ADHD will put forward behaviors that are completely impossible for someone with ADHD like divided attention multitasking.
SJW: Social Justice Warrior. A person who believes with all their heart and soul that white men are a plague destroying the world and they can only be defeated by constant vigilance of pop culture tropes, reblogging on tumblr, and hashtag campaigns on twitter.
TERF: Transgender Exclusionary Radical Feminist. Someone who not only believes men can’t be feminists, but neither can transgendered women. See Also transmidandry
Tone Policing: Pointing out that someone with more oppression points is behaving quite poorly
Transmisnadry: the view that women who want to be female to male are gender traitors and are a privileged class because they are male
Truscum: The people who have the audacity to say that sexual dysphoria is a disease that can be treated. Among these presumably would be doctors who perform sexual reassignment surgery.
Womanism: Black women starting their own word because they got tired of rich white women appropriating their issues and claiming they are global problems faced by women.
Feminism of the most absurd variety is big business for small bloggers. There are a group of women, mostly white, mostly college educated from middle class backgrounds that want to believe a narrative where they are the victims in a “patriarchal” system that is built for men. Being a victim eliminates all feelings of social responsibility or guilt. The problem with that, is as time marches on it becomes more and more difficult to prove the victimization of women in American society (and almost impossible in the UK and Canada). In comes the Microagression!
Microagressions are great to write about because they get the aforementioned professional victims, but also the people who disagree that such things are real. It’s down to such a science even buzzfeed, the bottom feeding shit aggregator site is jumping in. Lets visit these buzzworthy “microagressions” shall we (Note, for some reason buzzfeed after publishing this changed it to micro misogyny which was even more ridiculous and why I chose to make fun of them as actually being “micro misandry”.)